Augustine G. Kappes papers, 1899-1909 (MC 59)

Augustine G. Kappes served as a priest in several parishes in the Diocese of Harrisburg (Pa.) from 1902 until his death in March 1930. Kappes’ German background and knowledge of the language likely played a large factor in his assignment to churches with mostly German parishioners. One such parish was St. Gertrude’s in Lebanon. During his tenure as rector, Kappes founded the parish school, which opened in 1910.

This small collection includes Kappes’ handwritten sermons, writings, and notes. Most are in English, though some of the writings are in German and Latin.

View finding aid (PDF)

Elizabeth Sarah Kite papers, 1865-1941 (MC 2)

Elizabeth Sarah Kite (1864-1954) was a teacher, social scientist, historian and archivist. Born in Philadelphia to Quaker parents, Kite undertook advanced studies in Europe for six years. While studying in England in 1906, Kite was baptized a Catholic. Upon her return, she taught in a number of private schools in Pennsylvania, California, and Massachusetts.

Kite worked at the Vineland Training School for Mental Defectives, 1909-1918, and conducted research there (and later under the auspices of the New Jersey Commissioner of Charities and Corrections) pertaining to residents of the Pine Barrens. She translated The Intelligence of the Feeble-Minded by Alfred Binet and Theodore Simon (translation published 1916). She also researched various historical topics, especially the influence of French participation during the American Revolution, and served as the archivist for American Catholic Historical Society. Kite became the first laywoman to receive the degree of doctor of literature at Villanova.

The collection mostly contains correspondence, including Kite family letters, as well as ephemera, clippings, and drafts.

1.2 linear ft., 3 boxes

John W. Keogh papers, 1906-1960 (MC 50)

circa 1943

Msgr. John W. Keogh (1877-1960) served as a college chaplain for the University of Pennsylvania’s Newman Club (1913-1938), and was the first “Chaplain General” of the national Federation of College Catholic Clubs (1917-1938). He also served as a chaplain for several Catholic organizations and institutions including the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Ladies Auxiliary of that association, and St. Bede’s Chapel.

Keogh was also very involved in the total abstinence movement. He served as president of the Catholic Total Abstinence Union of American. He also served as president  and was instrumental in the founding of the Priests’ Total Abstinence League of America.

The collection is mostly comprised of correspondence, both personal and professional, that mainly documents his work as chaplain of the Newman Club at the University of Pennsylvania.  Also included are clippings, research notes, and published materials reflecting Keogh’s interests in various current events of the first half of the 20th century, particularly those that the Catholic Church was engaged in, such as abstinence, communism, birth control, and Catholic Action. The collection also contains sermons and photographs as well as some legal and estate materials as Keogh was the executor of several wills and estates.

4.8 linear ft., 12 boxes