Bartholomew F. Fair papers, 1906-1966 (MC 24)

Bartholomew F. Fair (circa 1963)

After receiving his doctorate in canon law from Catholic University, Bartholomew F. Fair became a professor at St. Charles Seminary (Overbrook, Pa.) from 1946 until his appointment as pastor of St. Raymond of Penafort parish in 1967. During this time, he also served as assistant pastor at several other parishes within the Philadelphia Archdiocese. He was also a member of the Commission for Sacred Liturgy and served as Spiritual Director for the Children of Mary at the Academy of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in Rittenhouse Square.

Fair served as president of the American Catholic Historical Society from 1957 until 1966. He was then named to the newly created post of executive director. He had been active in the Society for over 23 years, also serving as its librarian and curator. He supervised the move of the ACHS to its present headquarters at 263 South Fourth Street and was also responsible for moving the Society’s collection to its present location at St. Charles Seminary.

This collection contains correspondence and writings, including Fair’s dissertation, as well as other miscellaneous materials. Some minutes, annual reports, and treasurer’s reports of the American Catholic Historical Society are also included. Some of the correspondence and writings are in Italian and Latin.

2 boxes, 0.8 linear ft.

Lawrence Francis Flick papers, 1889-1930 (MC 18)

A graduate of Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia (1879), Lawrence F. Flick (1856-1938) was a pioneer in the antituberculosis campaign and one of the first to discover that disease was not hereditary but contagious. He organized the first American tuberculosis society in 1892, the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Tuberculosis, to educate the public and founded White Haven Sanitarium in 1901.

Having a great interest in history, Flick was one of the founders of the American Catholic Historical Society (ACHS) and served as its president for a time. He also helped found the American Catholic Historical Association, and served as its first president.

The collection mostly contains correspondence, circulars, and ephemera relating to Flick’s association with the ACHS. Some family correspondence is also included.

6 boxes, 2.4 linear ft.

Mark Antony Frenaye papers, 1807-1868 (MC 16)

no date

Mark Antony Frenaye (1783-1873) was a prominent Philadelphia Catholic businessman who served for many years as the financier and treasurer of the Diocese of Philadelphia. Frenaye also was the largest financial contributor of St. John the Evangelist Church (1830), which Bishop Francis P. Kenrick erected as a way to, according to Frenaye, break down the system of trustee control in the city. Trusteeism involved the practice of Catholic laity assuming control of the administration of churches, even to the point of hiring and firing pastors. Frenaye also managed the Bishop’s Bank, which Bishop Kenrick established in 1848 for working Catholics who did not want to use the private savings institutions.

This collection contains mainly correspondence. A copy of the will of Demetrius Gallitzin, emigre Russian aristocrat and Catholic missionary priest, is also included.

1 Box, .4 linear ft.