circa 1943

Msgr. John W. Keogh (1877-1960) served as a college chaplain for the University of Pennsylvania’s Newman Club (1913-1938), and was the first “Chaplain General” of the national Federation of College Catholic Clubs (1917-1938). He also served as a chaplain for several Catholic organizations and institutions including the Ancient Order of Hibernians, the Ladies Auxiliary of that association, and St. Bede’s Chapel.

Keogh was also very involved in the total abstinence movement. He served as president of the Catholic Total Abstinence Union of American. He also served as president  and was instrumental in the founding of the Priests’ Total Abstinence League of America.

The collection is mostly comprised of correspondence, both personal and professional, that mainly documents his work as chaplain of the Newman Club at the University of Pennsylvania.  Also included are clippings, research notes, and published materials reflecting Keogh’s interests in various current events of the first half of the 20th century, particularly those that the Catholic Church was engaged in, such as abstinence, communism, birth control, and Catholic Action. The collection also contains sermons and photographs as well as some legal and estate materials as Keogh was the executor of several wills and estates.

4.8 linear ft., 12 boxes