Augustine G. Kappes served as a priest in several parishes in the Diocese of Harrisburg (Pa.) from 1902 until his death in March 1930. Kappes’ German background and knowledge of the language likely played a large factor in his assignment to churches with mostly German parishioners. One such parish was St. Gertrude’s in Lebanon. During his tenure as rector, Kappes founded the parish school, which opened in 1910.

This small collection includes Kappes’ handwritten sermons, writings, and notes. Most are in English, though some of the writings are in German and Latin.

View finding aid (PDF)